Altomonte traces its history back to the Romans - it is mentioned by Pliny the Elder for its wine. Around 1000AD it moved to it's present hilltop location, probably to better defend itself from Saracen attacks. By the 14th Century it had adopted the present name of Altomonte. In the first decades of 1300s Phillip of Sangineto transformed what was a rural village into a town of some importance. Between 1343 and 1345 he built the Church of Our Lady of Consolation which still stands today. A century later the town became the property of the Sanseverino family who encouraged the Domenican friars to come to the town. They made the Church of Our Lady of Consolation and stayed until the 19th Century.
Today Altomonte is a village of 5,000 permanent residents. It attracts 100,000 tourists annually who delight in its wonderful collection of medeival buildings
Click any photo to see a larger version
Full Shoot ...